The main objective of PROSO (“PROmoting SOcietal engagement under the terms of RRI”) is to foster societal engagement under the terms of Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) in the research and innovation (R&I) systems in Europe. For this purpose, the project partners will generate a policy and process guide, the objective of which will be to contribute to advancing governance in the field of societal engagement in relation to three thematic areas of research and innovation, namely nanotechnology, bio-economy and food&health. The guide will be based on the results PROSO will achieve through in-depth analysis of the barriers and incentives for engaging third sector actors and citizens in publicly funded research, including public-private partnership research initiatives. These will be investigated through various approaches and in dialogue with a wide range of stakeholders, including science/technology policy makers, research funders, academics, industry/businesses, third sector actors and citizens.
Key activities within the project include:
- exploring the notion of RRI, as well as the expectations towards societal engagement from an RRI perspective;
- mapping barriers and incentives for societal engagement from the point of view of third sector actors and other stakeholders contributing to RRI;
- investigating citizens’ views of innovative approaches to citizen engagement in research-related activities through conducting national citizen panels in five European countries. ARC Fund is coordinating the implementation of this project’s activity;
- identifying policy and governance implications based on the insights gained through analysis of the engagement barriers and incentives in the three R&I fields and discussing them in a multi-actor deliberative process;
- developing a policy and process guide for improving governance in the field of societal engagement under the terms of RRI.
PROSO is supported by Horizon 2020. It began in January 2016 and will run until February 2018.
Besides ARC Fund, partners in the project include:
Zoya Damianova: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ventseslav Kozarev: email@example.com
Blagovesta Chonkova: firstname.lastname@example.org